Research Specialty and Interests
Investigate diseases of major tree fruit grown in Washington State and Pacific Northwest with a focus on applied epidemiology of major pathogens in orchards and its linkage to post-harvest diseases of pome fruit. Develop rational IPM approaches for tree fruit diseases management. Use of standard and molecular tools for accurate risk assessment related to fungicide resistance development and management.
Extension efforts of the program are dedicated to develop and promote innovative and effective methods and technologies to provide appropriate information for multiples stakeholders timely.
Professional Experience and Activities
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Florida, 2011-2014.
- Postdoctoral Assistant, Clemson University, 2007-2010.
Employment and Graduate Student Opportunities
If you like fungi and bacteria and are interested in tree fruit pathology, postharvest diseases, and applied epidemiology and you are excited about the idea of working in the number one production region of apple, pear and cherry in the world, you are very welcome to contact me.
More information on graduate studies in the Department of Plant Pathology at Washington State University.
- Gañán L., Peever T.L., Evans. K.A., Amiri A. 2021. High genetic diversity in predominantly clonal populations of the powdery mildew fungus Podosphaera leucotricha from U.S. apple orchards. Applied Environmental Microbiology 87:e004692 http://doi:10.1128/AEM.00469-21
- Gañán L., Peever T.L., Amiri A. 2021. No evidence of resistance to trifloxystrobin, triflumizole, and boscalid in Podosphaera leucotricha isolates from U.S. commercial apple orchards. Plant Disease 105:2356-2365.
- Amiri A., Zuniga A.I., Peres N.A. 2020. Mutations in the membrane-anchored SdhC subunit affect fitness and sensitivity to succinate dehydrogenase inhibitors in Botrytis cinerea populations from multiple hosts. Phytopathology 110:327-335.
- Enicks D.A., Bomberger R.A., Amiri A. 2020. Development of a portable lamp assay for detection of Neofabraea perennans in commercial apple fruit. Plant Disease 104:2346-2353.
- Gañán L., White R.A., Friesen M.L., Peever T.L., Amiri A. 2020. Draft genome resource for the pome fruit powdery mildew pathogen Podosphaera leucotricha. Phytopathology 110:1756-1758.
- Ozturk I.K., Amiri A. 2020. Pathogenicity and management of Phacidium lacerum, an emerging pome fruit pathogen. Plant Disease 104:3124-3130.
- Amiri A., Zuniga A.I., Cordova LG., Peres N.A. 2019. The importance of selecting appropriate rotation and tank-mix partners for novel SDHIs to enhance Botrytis Fruit Rot control in strawberry. Plant Disease 103:729-736.
- Ali E.M., Amiri A. 2018. Selection pressure pathways and mechanisms of resistance to the demethylation inhibitor-difenoconazole in Penicillium expansum. Frontiers in Microbiology 9:2472. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.02472.
- Ali E.M., Mulvaney K.A., Pandit L.K., Amiri A. 2018. Sensitivity of Phacidiopycnis spp. isolates from pome fruit to six pre- and postharvest fungicides. Plant Disease 102:533-539.
- Amiri A., Zuniga A.I., Peres N.A. 2018. Potential impact of populations drift on Botrytis occurrence and resistance to multi- and single-site fungicides in Florida southern highbush blueberry fields. Plant Disease 102:2142-2148.
- Amiri A., Zuniga A.I., Peres N.A. 2018. Prevalence of Botrytis cryptic species in strawberry nursery transplants, strawberry and blueberry commercial fields in Eastern United States. Plant Disease 102:398-404.
- Amiri A., Hawkins A.W., Mulvaney K.A. 2017. Study of fitness, virulence, and fungicide sensitivity of Lambertella corni-maris causing yellow rot on apple. Plant Disease 101:738-743.
- Amiri A., Mulvaney K.A., Pandit L.K. 2017. First report of Penicillium expansum isolates with low levels of resistance to fludioxonil from commercial apple packinghouses in Washington State. Plant Disease 101:835.
- Amiri A., Mulvaney K.A., Pandit L.K., De Angelis R.D. 2017. First report of resistance to fluxapyroxad and fluopyram in Botrytis cinerea from commercial apple orchards in Washington State. Plant Disease 101: 508.
- Cordova LG., Amiri A., Peres N.A. 2017. Effectiveness of fungicide treatments following the strawberry advisory system for control of Botrytis fruit rot in Florida. Crop Protection 100:163-167.
- Cordova LG., Madden L.V., Amiri A., Schnabel G., Peres N.A. 2017. Meta-analysis of web-based disease forecast system for control of anthracnose and Botrytis fruit rots of strawberry in Southeastern United States. Plant Disease 101:1910-1917.
- Oliviera M.S., Amiri A., Peres N.A. 2017. Source of primary inoculum of Botrytis cinerea and their impact on fungicide resistance development in commercial strawberry fields. Plant Disease 101:1761-1768.
- Amiri A., Onofre R., Peres N.A. 2016. First report of Amphobotrytis cinerea causing gray mold on strawberry from Florida. Plant Disease 5:1007.
- Forcelini B.B., Seijo T.E., Amiri A., Peres N.A. 2016. Resistance in strawberry isolates of Colletotrichum acutatum from Florida to quinone-outside inhibitor fungicides. Plant Disease 100:2050-2056.