PhD in Plant Pathology
Applicants should have a MS degree. The period of study for the PhD is 3 years or more beyond the MS. Successful completion of an oral preliminary examination is required. A dissertation based on original research, and oral defense, are required for the PhD in plant pathology. Students bypassing the MS will also be required to submit a research proposal.
- Application deadlines: January 10 (fall) and July 1 (spring)
- Master’s Degree preferred (Bachelor’s degree will be considered)
- 3 recommendations
- Statement of purpose
- 72 credit hours*
- Oral preliminary exam
- Oral defense
*The PhD program in plant pathology includes 72 credit hours (minimum), of which 34 hours are in graded course work, 25 of which must be at the 500-level. Only half of the graded coursework is transferable from another university. A minimum of 14 credit hours of Plant Pathology coursework is required, plus a minimum of 2 credit hours of Seminar (Pl P 515). View list of plant pathology courses.
Additional requirements for applicants with a bachelor’s degree
Applicants with a BS degree may apply for direct admission to the PhD program. Each applicant is considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants must include the following materials with their application to receive consideration:
- Documented evidence of research experience: Provide a one-page description of a research project you were involved with. The description should include the nature of the research project, duration, your supervisor, your role and involvement in the project, what you learned from the project, and any publications or conference presentations resulting from the project with which you were involved (and your role in the publication and presentation).
- Statement of Purpose: Address specifically why you want to enroll in the PhD program before completing an MS degree, your interests in pursuing a PhD, and your career goals.
- Grades: Minimum GPA of 3.25.
- English proficiency: If you are not a native English speaker, you are required to submit test scores of either TOEFL or IELTS. GRE scores are not required.