Please complete the Insect Identification Form
and submit with the sample.
- Include three to five intact insects in a sample if possible.
- Capture insects and immediately kill by freezing overnight.
- Pack insects gently with tissues or cotton in a glass or plastic bottle.
- If desired, include a plant sample showing damage in a separate bag or container.
- Place vial containing samples in a crush-proof box for mailing.
**If you plan to drop off a sample you may kill the insect by placing it in 70% alcohol. However, do not place butterflies, moths, or bees in alcohol, as key diagnostic features will be ruined.
Note: It is illegal to mail samples preserved in alcohol as it is considered a flammable liquid.
Please do not send live insects, crushed insects or insects caught on tape or on sticky traps.