Rachel Bomberger, M.S.
My work is centered on providing diagnosis of plant health problems of agricultural, greenhouse, forest, garden, and urban plants. Problems include: diseases caused by bacteria, fungi, viruses, and nematodes; and abiotic disorders due to chemical injury, water issues, nutrient imbalance, and mechanical damage. Many techniques are utilized in the diagnostic process, ranging from culturing and microscopy to immunological and molecular detection methods.
Diagnostician for the Nevada Department of Agriculture-Plant Pathology Laboratory.
External Auditor for the System for Timely, Accurate, and Reliable Diagnostics (STAR-D) quality management system.
Quality Manager for the STAR-D accredited Nevada Department of Agriculture-Plant Pathology Laboratory.
National Plant Protection Laboratory Accreditation Program (NPPLAP) certified Diagnostician for Citrus Greening (2014) and Sudden Oak Death (2015).
Member of the American Phytopathological Society (APS).
Member of the National Plant Diagnostic Network (NPDN).
Member of the Western Plant Diagnostic Network (WPDN).
Contributor for APS Career Advancement and Development Resource and Education (CADRE).
Master of Science from Oregon State University (2013) with Dr. Cynthia M. Ocamb.
- Bomberger, R.A., Duranovic, X., and Wang, S. First report of basal petiole rot and leaf blight caused by Phytophthora nicotianae on Chamaerops humilis in North America. Plant Disease 100:1. 212.
- Bomberger, R.A.,and Wang, S.Morphological and Molecular Identification of Verticillium species causing vascular wilt of peppermint in Nevada. 2015.Phytopathology 105 (Suppl. 4):S4.18
- Bomberger, R.A.,and Wang, S. Diversity of Phytophthora Detected from Retail Nursery Plants in Nevada.” 2015. Phytopathology 105 (Suppl. 4):S4.18
- Bomberger, R.A., Rolshoven, J., and Wang, S. First Detection of ‘Candidatus Phytoplasma pyri‘ from a pear tree in Nevada. 2014. Phytopathology 104 (Suppl. 3):S3.125
Genbank DNA Submissions:
- Bomberger, R.A., and S., Wang. 2015. GenBank: KP970615.1
- Bomberger, R.A., and S., Wang. 2015. GenBank: KP970614.1
- Bomberger, R.A., and S., Wang. 2015. GenBank: KP822065.1
- Bomberger, R.A., Duranovic, X., and Wang, S. 2015. GenBank: KJ549641.1
- Bomberger, R.A., Duranovic, X., and Wang, S. 2015. GenBank: KJ549640.1
- Bomberger, R.A., Rolshoven, J., and Wang, S. 2014. GenBank: KJ542562.1