Timothy D. Murray
Professor, Extension Plant Pathologist
Research Specialty and Interests
Diseases of small cereal grain crops, especially wheat. Ecology, epidemiology, and control of soilborne plant pathogens, including cultural, chemical, and disease resistance. Genetics of disease resistance and the use of alien species as sources of disease resistance genes. Mapping and tagging disease resistance genes with molecular markers.
- Professor and Extension Plant Pathologist, July 2013-present
- Chair, Dept. of Plant Pathology, November 2000-December 2008
- Assistant, Associate, Professor and Plant Pathologist, WSU 1983-present
International Research Activities
- Technical advisor – Bioversity International, Global Conservation and Use of Crop Genetic Diversity to Control Pests and Diseases in Support of Sustainable Agriculture, 2007-present.
- Collaborator – Shanxi Academy of Agricultural Sciences and Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Development of Perennial Wheat and Transfer of Resistance to Wheat streak mosaic virus from Wheat-Thinopyrum intermedium Partial Amphiploids into Adapted Wheat Cultivars, 2007-present.
- Collaborator – National Agricultural Research Center for Hokkaido, Memuro, Japan – Investigation of Snow Mold Resistance Genes in Wild Relatives of Wheat and Evaluation of their Breeding Potential, 2001-present.
Awards & Honors
- Vice-President, American Phytopathological Society, 2014
- Fellow, American Phytopathological Society, 2010
- Washington State Crop Improvement Association O. A. Vogel Award, 1993
- Sigma Xi, Washington State University, 1986
- Phi Kappa Phi, UC Davis, 1978
- American Phytopathological Society
- British Society for Plant Pathology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
Sheng, H., D.R. See, and T.D. Murray. 2014. Mapping resistance genes for Oculimacula acuformis in Aegilops longissima. Theoretical and Applied Genetics doi: 10.1007/s00122-014-2361-4. Sheng_TAG_14_Oa-A longissima QTL
Carter, A.H., S.S. Jones, X. Cai, S.R. Lyon, K.A. Balow, G.B. Shelton, R.W. Higginbotham, X.M. Chen, D.A. Engle, B. Baik, S.O. Guy, T.D. Murray, and C.F. Morris. 2014. Registration of ‘Puma’ wheat. Journal of Plant Registrations doi:10.3198/jpr2013.12.0074crc.
Esvelt Klos, K., H. Wetzel III, and T.D. Murray. 2014. Resistance to Oculimacula yallundae and Oculimacula acuformis is conferred by Pch2 in wheat. Plant Pathology 63:400-404. doi: 10.1111/ppa.12107. Klos_PlPath_13_Pch2
Carter, A.A., S.S. Jones, S.R. Lyon, K.A. Balow, G.B. Shelton, R.W. Higginbotham, X.M. Chen, D.A. Engle, B. Baik, S.O. Guy, T.D. Murray, and C.F. Morris. 2013. Registration of ‘Otto’ Wheat. Journal of Plant Registrations 7:195-200, doi: 10.3198/jpr2012.07.0013crc .
Robinson, M.D. and T.D. Murray. 2013. Genetic variation of Wheat streak mosaic virus in the United States Pacific Northwest. Phytopathology 103:98-104, doi: 10.1094/PHYTO-05-12-0108-R.
Campbell, K.G., R.E. Allan, J. Anderson, L.M. Little, J. Pritchett, N. Blake, A. Burke, C. Hoagland, C. Walker, X. Chen, C. Morris, S. Guy, T. Murray, D. See, D. Engle, H. Wetzel, D. Wood. 2012. Registration of “Cara” Soft White Winter Club Wheat. Journal of Plant Registration 7:81-88, doi: 10.3198/jpr2012.01.0005crc.
Sheng, H. and T.D. Murray. 2012. Identifying new sources of resistance to eyespot of wheat in Aegilops longissima. Plant Disease 97:346-353, doi: 10.1094/PDIS-12-11-1048-RE.
Sheng, H., D.R. See, and T.D. Murray. 2012. Mapping QTL for resistance to eyespot of wheat in Aegilops longissima. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 125:355-366, doi: 10.1007/s00122-012-1838-2.
Li, H., L. Cui, H. Li, X. Wang, T.D. Murray, R.L. Conner, L. Wang, X. Gao, Y. Sun, S. Sun, and W. Tang. 2012. Effective resources of wheat and wheat-Thinopyrum derivatives for resistance to Heterodera filipjevi in China. Crop Science 52:1209-1217, doi: 10.2135/cropsci2011.11.0591.
Esvelt Klos, K.L.E., L.M. Vásquez-Siller, H.C. Wetzel III, and T.D. Murray. 2012. PCR-based detection of Cephalosporium gramineum in winter wheat. Plant Disease 96:437-442, doi: 10.1094/PDIS-07-11-0568.
Arterburn M., A. Kleinhofs, T. Murray and S. Jones. 2010. Polymorphic nuclear gene sequences indicate a novel genome donor in the polyploid genus Thinopyrum. Hereditas 148:8-27.
Nishio, Z., A. Hayata, T. Tabiki, N. Iriki, M. Ito and T.D. Murray. 2010. Mapping a gene conferring resistance to Wheat yellow mosaic virus in European winter wheat cultivar ‘Ibis’ (Triticum aestivum L.). Euphytica 176:223–229 doi 10.1007/s10681-010-0229-5.
Jones, S.S., S.R. Lyon, K.A. Balow, M.A. Gollnick, K.M. Murphy, J. Kuehner, X.M. Chen, T.D. Murray, D.A. Engle, and K.G. Campbell. 2010. Registration of ‘Xerpha’ wheat. Journal of Plant Registrations 4:137-140 doi: 10.3198/jpr2006.05.0281crc. Jones_JPltRegis_10_Xerpha
Murray, T.D., H. Pappu, R.W. Smiley. 2009. First report of Soilborne wheat mosaic virus in Washington State. Plant Health Progress doi:10.1094/PHP-2009-1204-01-BR. Murray_PHP_09_SBWMV
MacDonald, J., C. Allen, D. Gadoury, W. Jacobi, S. Kelemu, J. Moyer, T. Murray, K. Ong, C. Pearson, J. Sherwood, and A. Vidaver. 2009. Education in plant pathology: Present status and future challenges. Plant Disease 93:1238-1251. MacDonald_PltDis_09_PlP Education
Smith, K. M. Draper, K. Simmons, R. Bennett, P. Hebbar, M. Royer, T. Murray. 2009. Management strategies for new wheat stem rust strains in the U.S. Outlooks on Pest Management 20:148-52. Smith_OutlooksPestMgt_09_Ug99 Preparations
Nishio, Z., N. Iriki, K. Takata, M. Ito, T. Tabiki, and T.D. Murray. 2008. Influence of cold-hardening and soil matric potential on resistance to speckled snow mold in wheat. Plant Disease 92:1021-1025. Nishio_PD_08_SMTesting
Murray, T., Milus, G., DeWolf, E., Dill-Macky, R., Steffenson, B., Wegulo, S., Bergstrom, G., Sorrells, M., McMullen, M., Paul, P., Hunger, R., Mundt, C., Isard, S., Stein, J., Baker, H., Bulluck, R., Divan, C., Engle, J., Hebbar, P., Bowden, B., Carson, M., Chen, X., Jin, Y., Marshall, D., Smith, K., and Szabo, L. 2010. Recovery plan for stem rust of wheat caused by Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici Ug99. National Plant Disease Recovery System, a cooperative project of The American Phytopathological Society and The United States Department of Agriculture, posted athttp://www.ars.usda.gov/research/npdrs.
Li, H. J., R. L. Conner, and T. D. Murray. 2008. Resistance to soil-borne diseases of wheat: Contributions from the wheatgrasses Thinopyrum intermedium and Th. ponticum. Can. J. Plant Sci. 88:195-205. Murray_Li_CJPS_08_Thinopyrum.pdf.
Wetzel III, H.C. and T.D. Murray. 2011. Evaluation of fungicides to control eyespot in winter wheat, 2010. Plant Disease Management Reports, 5:CF015. Wetzel_PDMR_11_CF015 eyespot var
Wetzel III, H.C. and T.D. Murray. 2011. Reaction of winter wheat cultivars and breeding lines to eyespot, 2010. Plant Disease Management Reports, 5:CF014. Wetzel_PDMR_11_CF014 eyespot fung
Wetzel III, H.C., J.C. Evans, K. Esvelt-Klos and T.D. Murray. 2010. Reaction of winter wheat cultivars and breeding lines to Cephalosporium stripe, 2009. Plant Disease Management Reports 4:CF027. Wetzel_PDMR_10_CF027 Cephalosporium
Wetzel III, H.C., J.C. Evans, and T.D. Murray. 2010. Reaction of winter wheat cultivars and breeding lines to eyespot, 2009. Plant Disease Management Reports 4:CF028. Wetzel_PDMR_10_CF028 Eyespot
Wetzel III, H.C. and T.D. Murray. 2010. Evaluation of fungicides to control eyespot in winter wheat, 2009. Plant Disease Management Reports 4:CF041. Wetzel_PDMR_10_CF041 Fungicides
Wetzel III, H.C., K. Esvelt Klos, and T.D. Murray. 2009. Reaction of winter wheat cultivars and breeding lines to Cephalosporium stripe, 2008. Plant Disease Management Reports 3:CF042.
Wetzel III, H.C., K. Esvelt Klos, and T.D. Murray. 2009. Reaction of winter wheat cultivars and breeding lines to eyespot, 2008. Plant Disease Management Reports 3:CF041.
Sheng, H. and T.D. Murray.2009. Identifying Resistance Genes for Eyespot of Wheat in Aegilops longissima. Phytopathology (abstr.)(IN PRESS).
Murray, T.D. 2009. Winter Climate Change and interaction with Diseases of Wheat in the Pacific Northwest U.S. Program and Abstracts, Northwest Scientific Association Annual Meeting, pages 47-48 (abstr.).
Li, Hongjie, Xiaoming Wang, Zhendong Zhu, R. L. Conner, and T. D. Murray. 2008. Resistance to wheat diseases derived from the wheatgrasses, Thinopyrum intermedium and Th. Ponticum. Chromosome Science 11 (suppl.):67.Nishio, Z., N.
Bockus, W.W., R.L. Bowden, R.M. Hunger, T.D. Murray, R.W. Smiley, and W. Morrill, eds. 2010. Compendium of Wheat Diseases and Insects, Third Edition. APS Press, Minneapolis.
Maloy, O. C. and T. D. Murray, eds. 2000. Encyclopedia of Plant Pathology, John Wiley & Sons, New York 1346 pp.
Murray, T. D., D. W. Parry, and N. D. Cattlin. 1998. A Colour Handbook of Diseases of Small Grain Cereal Crops. Manson Publishing, London.
Murray, T.D. and D. Gaudet. 2013. Global Change in Winter Climate and Agricultural Sustainability. Plant and Microbe Adaption to Cold, Pages 1-16 in: Plant and Microbe Adaptations to Cold in a Changing World, R. Imai, M. Yoshida and N. Matsumoto, eds. Springer, New York.
Murray, T.D. 2010. Diseases caused by fungi and fungal-like organisms. Pages 15-16 in: Compendium of Wheat Diseases and Insects, W.W. Bockus, R.L. Bowden, R.M. Hunger, T.D. Murray, R.W. Smiley, and W. Morrill, eds., Third Edition. APS Press, Minneapolis.
Murray, T.D. 2010. Eyespot (Strawbreaker foot rot). Pages 32-34 in: Compendium of Wheat Diseases and Insects, W.W. Bockus, R.L. Bowden, R.M. Hunger, T.D. Murray, R.W. Smiley, and W. Morrill, eds., Third Edition. APS Press, Minneapolis.
Murray, T.D. 2010. Snow Rot. Pages 72-73 in: Compendium of Wheat Diseases and Insects, W.W. Bockus, R.L. Bowden, R.M. Hunger, T.D. Murray, R.W. Smiley, and W. Morrill, eds., Third Edition. APS Press, Minneapolis.
Murray, T.D. 2010. Speckled Snow Mold (Typhula Blight). Pages 73-74 in: Compendium of Wheat Diseases and Insects, W.W. Bockus, R.L. Bowden, R.M. Hunger, T.D. Murray, R.W. Smiley, and W. Morrill, eds., Third Edition. APS Press, Minneapolis.
De Wolf, E., T. Murray, P. Paul, L. Osborne, and A. Tenuta. 2011. Identification and Management of Stem Rust on Wheat and Barley. USDA-CREES Extension IPM 2009-41533-05331. Stem Rust MStem Rust Man WAan WA.pdf
De Wolf, E., T. Murray, P. Paul, L. Osborne, A. Tenuta, and M. Stadtlander. 2010. Identifying Rust Diseases of Wheat and Barley. USDA-CREES Extension IPM 2009-41533-05331. Rust Diseases WA 2010
T.D. Murray. 2006. Strawbreaker Foot rot or Eyespot of Wheat. WSU Extension Bulletin. Murray_EB1378_2006_eyespot
Johnson Hall 311A/345 (office) & Vogel Plant Bioscience 230 (lab)
Member of the Small Grains Extension Team with responsibility for disseminating pathology research to eastern Washington producers.
- International Conference on Plant and Microbe Adaptation to Cold 2016, Program Chair
- National Plant Disease Recovery System, Chair, Rathayibacter Poisoning Committee, 2013-2014
- Treasurer, Western Soil Fungus Conference, 2008-2014
- National Plant Diagnostic Network, Annual Meeting Program Committee Chair, 2011
- National Plant Disease Recovery System, Chair, Black Stem Rust Committee, 2008-2011
- APS Ad hoc Committee on the Future Education of Plant Pathologists, 2006-2008
- National Wheat Improvement Committee, 1998-2001
- Western Education/ Extension and Research Activity (WERA)- 97, Small grain diseases
- Associate Editor, The Crop Journal (China), October 2013-present
- Senior Editor, Plant Disease, 2013-2014
- Associate Editor, Journal of General Plant Pathology (Japan), 2012-present
- Associate Editor, European Journal of Plant Pathology, 2009-2011
- Editorial Committee member, Annual Review of Phytopathology, 2003-2008
- Editor-in-Chief, Plant Health Progress, 2000-2004
- Associate Editor, Journal of Production Agriculture, 1997-1999
- Senior Editor, Plant Disease, 1991-1994
- Associate Editor, Plant Disease, 1988‑1991