Charles Gardner Shaw Mycological Herbarium
The late, world-renowned mycologist Charles Gardner Shaw served Washington State University for 36 years in the Department of Plant Pathology. On Sept. 10, 2011 the university’s mycological herbarium was dedicated in his name.
Founded by Frederick D. Heald in 1915 and enlarged and improved by Professor Charles Gardner Shaw, the Charles Gardner Shaw Mycological Herbarium contains approximately 70,000 specimens of fungi. It represents all major groups of fungi, with particular strength in smut fungi, downy mildew fungi, pyrenomycetes and various other parasitic fungi. Although the parasitic fungi of the Pacific Northwest are emphasized, the collection contains materials from throughout the world.
Collections of particular importance include those of Wilhelm Suksdorf, Roderick Sprague, Jack D. Rogers, Ruben Duran, C. G. Shaw, and W. B. Cooke. Loans are available to individuals associated with recognized botanical institutions throughout the world. Specialists wishing to utilize the facilities of the Charles Garner Shaw Mycological Herbarium are welcome by prior arrangement.